Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4 Known as the ‘king of wild mushrooms’, the mighty morel is one of the strongest tasting yet versatile wild mushrooms in the world. Chefs will use the morel mushroom in just about any recipe for its flavour-enhancing characteristics. One of the easiest ways to enjoy these elusive mushrooms is in a cream sauce over some fresh pasta. We recommend keeping your ingredients list nice and simple, as the morels will carry the recipe with ease.
Morel mushrooms are picked in areas of wilderness that have experienced a forest fire the previous year, often growing in the most remote areas of the Pacific Northwest! Enjoy a taste of the wild with these world-famous gems!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 15g WCWF Dried Morel Mushrooms (alternatively, 150g fresh Morel Mushrooms can be used when in season)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place dried wild mushrooms in a bowl of lukewarm water, soak for 10-15 minutes
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
- Drain the rehydrated wild mushrooms (save the water used to soak for future recipes) and add to the pan with the onion, shallots, garlic, 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Cook for 12 minutes or until the liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally
- Add the wine, cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat and add the cream, cheese, and 2 tbsp parsley, stirring gently for 5 minutes
- Add the remaining ½ tsp salt, and serve immediately
Serving suggestion: Tagliatelle with Morel Mushroom Cream Sauce Did you know that dried mushrooms will last for over 2 years without losing their flavour? Many people worry about the storage and shelf life of mushrooms, however due to the natural drying process that seals the flavour and stabilizes the moisture content at just under 10%, you can keep a bag of dried mushrooms in your cupboard without worrying, and use them for special occasions!